How do I start my PS3 in Safe Mode
Click each step to see the action. You can also click the picture or use the arrow keys.
- 1. First you will need to power off the console. Press and hold the Power button on the front of the console until the LED turns red.
- 2. Press and hold the Power button until you have heard 3 beeps about 5 seconds apart. Your PS3 will now power off.
- 3. To start the PS3 in Safe mode, press and hold the Power button. You will hear two single beeps about 5 seconds apart, followed by a quick double beep. Release the Power button, your PS3 will launch in Safe Mode.
- 4. Connect the controller using a USB cable.
- 5. Press the PS button on the controller.
- 6. From the Safe Mode menu you have the facility to:
Restart System — Ends safe mode and starts up the PLAYSTATION 3 normally.
Restore Default Settings — Performs the same operations as on the XMB™, and also deletes PlayStation®Network account information from the system.
Restore File System — Attempts to repair all areas on the hard disk drive where files can be saved. Corrupted data may be erased if it cannot be recovered.
Rebuild Database — Deletes messages, playlists, changes made on screens, trimming information for pictures in , video thumbnails, video playback history and video resume information.
This operation may take a long time depending on the type and number of data items.
Restore PS3 System — IMPORTANT: All data will be lost by performing this step.
This will reformat the hard drive on the PLAYSTATION 3, deleting all data and restoring it to as if it just came out of the box. This is the same as on the XMB.
System Update — Updates the PS3 system software. This can only be done with an update file already saved on an external storage media.