How do I start my PS4 in Safe Mode
Click each step to see the action. You can also click the picture or use the arrow keys.
- 1. Make sure that the PlayStation is turned off fully.
- 2. Press and hold the Power button on the front of the console until you have heard 2 beeps. One initial beep and another about 7 seconds later. Once you have heard the second beep release the Power button.
- 3. Your PlayStation will now boot up in Safe Mode. Connect the controller via the USB cable.
- 4. Plug the USB cable into the front of the console.
- 5. Press the PS button on the controller.
- 6. From the Safe Mode menu you have the facility to:
Restart System: Ends Safe Mode and restarts the PlayStation 4 normally.
Change Resolution: Changes the screen resolution to 480p when the PlayStation 4 is restarted.
Update System Software: Allows the PlayStation 4 to update the system software via Internet, USB Drive, or Disc.
Restore Default Settings: Restores the PlayStation 4 to the default factory settings.
Rebuild Database: Scans the drive and creates a new database of all content. This operation may take a long time depending on the type and number of data items.
Initialize PS4: Important All data and settings will be lost by performing this step. Deletes all user data and restores the PS4 as if it just came out of the box. This option is the same as [Initialize PS4] in the (Settings) menu. System software (firmware) is not deleted.
Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software): Important Deletes all information on the HDD, including the System Software.